Monday, August 23, 2010

Boundary Waters Canoe Area

I took a 7-day solo trip into the BWCA from Aug 7-13. Entered and returned at Snowbank. Roughly the trip was Snowbank, Disappointment, Ima (camped), Thomas, Frasier, chain of monosyllabic lakes--I'll explain later--(camped on Cap), Makwa, Elton (camped), Little Saganaga, Gabimichigami Lake, Mueller Falls, Muller Lake, Ogishkemuncie Lake (wanted to camp there but it was full -- moved on to Jenny Lake where I camped), Lake Kebekabic, Spoon Lake (camped), North Arm of Knife Lake (camped) from where I day-tripped to Benny's cove on Ottertrack Lake. On the last day I traveled East on Knife Lake through Vera, Ensign, Boot, and Snowbank Lakes, back to Entry Point 27, on Snowbank, where I started

This is the initial set of pictures. I'll add more, in chronological order, as I get them ready...Not much luck on the chronological order thing as I'm having a hard time inserting the pictures where I want them :-(

This bog 'happened' in the middle of my portage between two of the lakes on the remote chain of monosylabic lakes between Frasier and Little Sag. Actually, the trail just sort of ended and I had no choice but to put the canoe in and paddle through.
Cap Lake, Morning 2, I got up early to take pictures  in the fog.
Little Saganaga Lake, north end, Day 3. This area was hit by a huge fire fire. There were a lot of burned down trees and new vegetation.



Day 3: I saw these moose on the while eating lunch on the stream between Rattle and Ogishkemuncie. 



Day 3, North End of Little Saganaga Lake near the portage to Rattle Lake. There is a huge burnt out area that many people may look at as devastated; but I thought was very photogenic. I actually missed the portage and was pulling my canoe out of the connecting stream up to the trail.
Kekekabic Lake on Day 5. This is a very long lake. I entered on the west end which is very scenic with tall cliffs and seagulls. Unfortunately, I had to keep my camera in the case because of wind and rain. However, I kept toasty warm wearing my special tech-jacket from Jack and Katherine

North Arm of the Knife River, Day 6.
I paddled through a group of 5 loons on Day 7 after breaking camp on Knife Lake. I had never before seen that many in a group.
I call this 'Gratuitous Sunset." Gratuitous because I'm a bit snobbish and hadn't intended to take pictures of sunsets. But this  one stood out during my last night. I took it from my campsite on the North Leg of Knife Lake. We are looking across the lake into Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment